Monday, December 17, 2012

704 - Archangel Michael, Part X


Here is today's progress on writing my Byzantine-style icon of Saint Michael the Archangel.  Although there are some details that need to be finished, I have his colours more or less finalized.
 
Boy, his costume reminds me of Superman.  There are some parallels.  Michael could be considered the ultimate biblical superhero, what with banishing Satan to Hell and all.  Supes doesn't have wings or carry a sword, though.  I think the resonance with The Man Of Steel comes with my colour choices.  These are based on another painting of Michael, albeit a more primitive attempt in my opinion.  However, my Michael uses the very basic red/yellow/blue primary colours, which is what you get with Superman.  There's my fault, in that I chose colours that stick very close to what comes out of the acrylic paint tube.  I haven't developed enough colour sense nor very many formulas for mixing pigments to achieve a more subtle palette in acrylics.  Practise makes perfect, so I'm not disappointed, just critical. 
 
Still, I'm starting to have doubts as to how Michael would look hanging on my wall.  Maybe I will put a big "S" on the front of his chest, if it's not sacrilegious.