Tuesday, December 11, 2012

700 - How A Tree Saved Christmas


Welcome to JSVB Post #700.  Only three hundred more posts to go until I hit my millennium mark, and wouldn't that be something?
 
From out of the blue, I had a big project dropped into my lap.  A client wanted me to come up with a family tree.  This is something I've never attempted before.  It turned out to be a lot of work, but it also came out as a beautiful graphic.
 
So, now I can do family trees.  Of course, it would be too late to come up with another one before Christmas, but JSVB readers please consider this project in the future, as I would be happy to do more.  Thankfully, the money I earned from this tree not only pays off my Christmas bills this year, but it also allowed me to print out some other art pieces that I thought should get framed.
 
I did not do the research for the family, as I don't have the resources for that.  The client presented me with a rough estimate of where the names should go, and I laid them out precisely.  In the pictures above, I have removed the last names and some other features, including a custom-made family crest and some other text.  Then, I custom-painted the tree and the background. 
 
The final image was 24" x 18", but it could be doubled in size to a massive 48" x 36" poster format.  I've printed the family tree on the finest Hahnemuele art rag paper - honestly, the tactile feel of the paper is just amazing - which is acid-free and will resist fading and yellowing.   I also matted and framed the copies that I had printed, which loyal JSVB readers will recognize as one of the chores I dread the most (please click here to see more).
 
The client wanted the oak tree to be without its leaves, so here is what that print looked like:
 
 
 
 
As you can see, I can be very flexible with the backgrounds and graphic options.  There is a lot of room for more text, like a family crest, a banner, a family motto, and more.