Wednesday, November 30, 2011

498 - Cheeseball Movember


Here you have it: the official JSVB Movember moustache portrait.  You can make this your background screen if you like!

Actually, while it took the entire month of November to grow my moustache this far, it took almost as long for me to come up with a reliable descriptor for my new soup-strainer: "cheeseball".  Mine is not a truly scary moustache, but on the other hand, it's not doing my face any  favours, either.  Cheeseball. 

I can't seem to grow any lip hair in my philtrum, which is the anatomical name for the vertical groove that runs from the mouth to the base of the nose.  If I trimmed my moustache any more, I'd end up with a Hitlerstache, which would be horrifying.  Cheeseball is bad enough as it is.  I'm nowhere near a Clooney or the holy grail of moustaches, the Selleck. 

"Movember" is now a world-wide charity effort to raise money and awareness for the detection and treatment of prostate cancer.  Men are encouraged to grow the best moustache they possibly can starting from November 1 and ending November 30th, which is today.  CTV News reports that Canadian men this year have raised over 32 million dollars for Movember, making Canada the undisputed world leader in moustache-related charity work.  Anything to make prostate cancer go away, I say.