Saturday, November 5, 2011

483 - My Favourite Toothpaste

Today's JSVB entry depicts simulated blood.  If the sight of blood upsets you, don't scroll down.  It's not that bad, though.  I've seen more blood in a Steve Martin movie. 

























Nobody has a favourite toothpaste, just like nobody has a favourite location for the DMV.  Toothpaste just is what it is, which is why I figure the companies who make the stuff go to great lengths to add gimmicks to their product.

So my favourite toothpaste was Crest Whitening Expressions Cinnamon Rush.  It was discontinued in 2010, I believe.   I bought it because it had a strong cinnamon taste, and cinnamon generally does not seem like toothpaste, so that was a mark in its favour.

What endeared me to this toothpaste was that it came in a gooey gel that was very nearly arterial red.  A few moments of brushing with this stuff and my mouth would be filled with bright blood-like gunk.  Wash it into the sink, and the spittle made me look like I had advanced tuberculosis.   Finally, a product that made me look forward to brushing!   Did I have gum cancer, or did I just use too much paste?  Looking at the Hitchcockian red mess swirling down the drain, there would be no way to know.  Imagine formulating a health care product that simulates a gross body discharge, and you have Crest Cinnamon Rush.




Unfortunately, Crest chose to re-tool their product.  They pulled it off the shelves for a while, and then returned with a new cinnamon toothpaste that I found to be a bland disappointment.  The spicy flavour had been toned down considerably, and the colour was changed to a much less sanguine-looking chalk white.   It's just not fun anymore.