Sunday, November 13, 2011

488 - "Laundry Elvis" (With Disclaimer*)

A couple of days after Hallowe'en, I noticed that our growing laundry pile* looked a lot to me like Elvis Presley:

It's sort of a yellow, cartoony, very old, wrinkled, and fat Elvis, perhaps the way he would look if he appeared in public today. 

I've already come down on the side of "not art" for items that I have come across that have aesthetic appeal yet were created accidentally rather than on purpose.  Examples are accidental photographs, such as JSVB Post #81 and JSVB Post #85 (please click on the post numbers to see each example).  Laundry Elvis creates a new boundary of aesthetics for me, accidental compositions that are also putrid enough to qualify for my monthly JSVB Ungood Art Day. 

Laundry Elvis is not Art because it is accidental, or at least the result of lazy housekeeping. (NOTE: You MUST read the Disclaimer at the bottom of this text!!) I awoke that fateful morning and saw Elvis at my bedside.  From any other view in the room, this looks like just a pile of dirty clothes.  So even the composition was random.  As humans, we find it an irresistible behaviour to see the patterns facial anatomy in things that don't have faces: from bits of toast, to rutabagas, to medical scans of testes, to rocks on Mars, we will find eyes, noses, and mouths in almost anything we see.   It's just dumb luck that my laundry looks at Elvis from the view from my pillow.  Luck, or creepy fate.  I decided that if Laundry Elvis isn't Art, it's at least Ungood enough to get its own post on JSVB for today.  Perhaps it's even Ungooder than one of my all-time favourite JSVB pic's, that of "Inflatable Elvis" (please click here to see that, and be amazed). 

"Cartoon" Laundry Elvis
If you perhaps find it hard to see the face of Elvis in my laundry, I made a cartoon version that might make The King stand out a little more.  Again, understand that this isn't a healthy, virile Elvis of the past, but a modern-day bloated and spent elder Elvis with the awesome polyester show suit and the everlasting pompadour hair.  I also drew up a schematic showing what the individual pieces of laundry are, should anybody ever decide to make their own Laundry Elvis:

Schematic View of Laundry Elvis Components























*DISCLAIMER (Mandatory) You MUST Read This Disclaimer:

The sorry, overflowing state of the dirty laundry depicted in JSVB Post #488 was fully, completely, and in every sense of the term 100% the fault and ultimate responsibility of Mr. Jeff Shyluk.  In no way possible under any circumstances should it be ever said, inferred, hinted, or even the merely whispered that Jeff's wife had anything to do with either the creation, maintenance, or composition of the laundry pile.  Clearly, she had no control or initial awareness of the circumstance that it may have come to resemble anything like Elvis Presley, if, in fact, it ever did. 

So sayeth and attesteth I, Mr. Jeffrey Shyluk, dated this November 13 (Ungood Art Day), 2011.