Wednesday, February 16, 2011

311 - Dandelion Soup


Here is some Japanese-style soup I made for my Valentine's sweetie.  I made a pork and vegetable stock, which I flavored with light miso.  I added udon noodles, onion, zucchini, snap peas, pork, and stringy, tasty enoki mushrooms. 

The reason for Japanese soup was that I finally tracked down my own DVD copy of "Tampopo" (1985).  Tampopo is the Japanese word for "dandelion", and is also the name of the film's leading lady.  My wife and I watched this movie when we were dating, way back when.  This is a movie that leaves an indelible impression on the audience.  Veteran Japanese character actor Ken Watanabe gets upstaged by a bowl of soup.  There's plenty of good humour and excellent food in this film, but also enough crazy sex, violence, and blood to make this feature unsuitable for children.