Sunday, February 6, 2011

303 - Our Balls Are Bigger


Today is the next installment of the American version of the Grey Cup, the "Super Bowl".  I guess I can tune in to see how it plays out.  At least when it's over, they'll stop hammering at us every day with Super Bowl commercials.  No, wait, that will still go on for a week or two yet.

At least in the Canadian game, i.e. football that is more fun to watch than the commercials, we can concentrate on the thrill of the gridiron.  The players are real people who obviously play for the love of the game.  There's no multimillion-dollar sociopathic primadonnas in Canadian football.  The salary cap is too low to make any of our football players rich. 

"Our Balls Are Bigger" is the semi-official slogan of the Canadian Football League.  From what I know, though, the Canadian football is only just slightly larger than its American cousin.  We put white stripes on our ball to increase visibility.

My wife snapped this photo of me at the 2010 Grey Cup in Edmonton.  Note that I am wearing the best colours in football, orange and black.  These are the team colours of the glorious Lions -=BC LIONS=- , who I fully expect will be in the Grey Cup this year. 

For last year's American Grey Cup entry, please click here.

For another photo of a kitchy giant inflatable mascot, please click here.