Tuesday, October 5, 2010

221 - Better The DVLA You Know

A distant friend of mine across the pond in Merrie OIde England mentioned her woes dealing with the DVLA, the bureaucratic government branch that issues drivers' permits over there (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency).  Her tirade made me think of coming up with upper-management stereotypes for future reference.  What I ended up with was not what I had in mind.  These are just free-form doodles in my sketchbook.  I should look up better visual references on which to base my models. 


I started with the fellow on top.  See how he has a rolodex filled with pound notes?  Well, I don't know what that means, either, but it has kind of a sarcastic feel to it.  The next was the snob in the tweed suit.  I think he would have been better in a full-on frontal view.  The last is the evil genius.  I actually kind of like him.  To me, he represents the spirit typical of a motor vehicles ministry, if not the public face. 

It's easy to make a sarcastic flip verbal comment, since those usually come on the spur of the moment.  Or, they are rehearsed well in advance, waiting to be shot at an unsuspecting victim like a well cared-for gun concealed in a purse.  Sarcastic drawings are hard, though.  Making a good one can take several hours or even days.  I find it difficult to maintain that level of sardonic wit for so long. 

I think so far my best sarcastic art on JSVB turned out to be the Ivan Fecan piece, please click here to see it. I spent all day on that drawing, pretending to be a political cartoonist.