Tuesday, April 13, 2010

96 - A Swing And A Miss

Here is some more artwork based on Ivan Fecan, CEO of CTV.  Since today is the thirteenth of the month, it automatically gets filed under Ungood Art.



 This piece of Ungood Art is a little different from the others, as it is not a completed work.  It's a trial run that failed.  This one time, I aborted the draft as I was laying down good lines, as I kept noticing that the fundamentals were all wrong. 

It started out okay, but the composition, structure, proportions and facial details were all bothering me.  Finally, I said "Shiver me timbers!" (G-rated version), and decided to toss out the picture and start anew.  I looked at several political cartoons on the Internet and made some analysis.  Everybody knows that political cartoonists work by warping and emphasizing the prominent personal features of their target.  I had to learn to choose what to deform and how.  I ended up putting more emphasis  on facial fat and skin tone, and less emphasis on features like the eyes, nose, and mouth.  This set me back at least a couple of hours; it took me most of the day to render the final artwork.  (Click here to compare the above image with the finished piece). 

I've subsequently learned how to properly pronounce "Ivan Fecan".  Not that I got into trouble for the picture - ha! - but rather he played himself on an episode of "Corner Gas".  He pronounces his own name like "ee-VONN fee-CHONN".  Now we know.