Saturday, April 24, 2010

102 - The Ruining Man


I've been neglecting my sketchbook over the past week, and it's starting to show.  Unfortunately for me, drawing is not like riding a bike, in that you remember how to do it after you've given it up for a while.  It's more like filling a barrel with a leak in it.  If I don't keep up with the leak, I lose the level.

This anatomical sketch turned out to be cruder than I intended.  It's okay, but not at the level I want.  Art-school stuff.  The pencil lines look like they were drawn in crayon.  The side-view pose doesn't help, as that view is seldom very dynamic.  At the beginning, I had a stronger arc of motion that grows upward from the planted foot all the way to the top of the neck.  For whatever reason, I straightened that arc, which also dulls the pose. 

On the plus side, I intentionally put the figure bounding between two pages of my book.  I thought that would make it look like he can't be contained by the page.  Also, it used up a space on my paper that I ordinarily would avoid. 

Not every art piece will be great, unless maybe you are a Master.  I find it humbling to have to accept that.  At least this particular piece is just for practise, and not part of a project.