Monday, January 1, 2018

1452 - Year Eight: JSVB In Review


January 1st was the starting date for JSVB, back in 2010.  Now I have eight years' worth of material to peruse.  Each year in the matrix above is represented by a column of coloured squares and bits.  Each square is a JSVB post.  Last year, Google changed their archive format, so the rightmost two columns look a little different from the others.  

2017 represents the very first year I've ever managed to produce more than the year before, by a margin of four posts.  I'll admit: 2017 was a struggle.  My health and stress level aren't great, but then I'm no different from everyone else in that department.  There were some wide gaps where I didn't post, as JSVB has dropped a little as a priority for me.  

Even so, I managed to create some pieces that I am proud of that people liked.  Here are some favourites of mine from the past year:

JSVB Post #1338  Of Chimps And Villains - A nice little bit of cartoon foolishness, inspired by my friend Earl.

JSVB Post #1357  Vote For Jeff - 2017 was heavy with April Fool's pranks.  One was a political flyer that does everything wrong in a political flyer: a grinning picture in a suit, a six-point plan (should be five) of platitudes and empty phrases, meaningless illustrations and an endorsement that was not legitimate.  Also awful fonts like Comic Sans and Papyrus.  The final sin: a picture of a check mark in a voting box.  These are the things that candidates do when they don't know they will lose.  Still, I do have the promise of two votes I can count on, and not from my wife, friends, or family - just my vote and a guy in Winnipeg.  Others have responded to my political ambitions by sending me the end bit of Apocalypse Now where Colonel Kurtz whispers  in agony: the horror... the horror...

JSVB Post #1362   Destroy Planet - A Photoshopped illustration with a hand-drawn Death that seems to capture the feeling of 2017.

 JSVB Post #1371   Mayor TV Podium People - I did a number of these small banners for my friend Greg Moore's Facebook page, advertising his MayorTV show.  Mayor Moore plans to retire in 2018.

JSVB Post #1379  The Girl With The Gerbera Daisy - This is my personal favourite from 2017.  It was something I saw in real life which I took the time to copy into my sketchbook and then rendered out as an illustration.  A really, really good illustration, that probably only I care for, but at least I know how good it is.  I nailed it! 

JSVB Post #1382  Happy Birthday To Me (8) - I like doing these Happy Birthday posts because I get to satisfy my own weird ideas.  This time, I accompanied James Bond/Maurice Binder imagery with Shirley Bassey style lyrics.  "Goldenass" (JSVB Post #1283) was a helpful early version of this artwork. 

JSVB Post #1384   BBQ'AN - I made myself into a tribute to the movie poster for Logan, which was an absolutely terrific show.  Photoshop made me look good. 

JSVB Post #1388 Crow With A Croissant - This has proved to be a favourite with JSVB viewers.

JSVB Post #1400  Sean Bruises His Shin - This was my blockbuster post for 2017, a wacky combination of Japanese woodcut art in the manner of master Hokusai melded with the Internet meme of my friend Sean bruising his shin while his cat watches.  And I even wrote a haiku to make the whole thing work.  

JSVB Post #1404   Illuminating Girl - I only had four JSVB posts in August, but this Art Nouveau themed line art carried the entire month.  This little illustration turned out amazingly well. 

JSVB had a large spike of viewers from January to June.  When I started to take time off from posting in Summer,  I squandered those viewers and my blog fell back down to its normal rate of a few hits per day.  Well, that's on me, of course.  I wish I had paid closer attention to JSVB in the hot months.  Now things are much slower, and I wonder at what new things will happen in 2018.  

I am grateful to the JSVB readers who purchased artwork, and I do enjoy having people follow my blog, as cranky and oddly-fashioned as it and I can be.   Let's look back on the past with wisdom and forward to the future with keen anticipation!  

Respectfully,
JEFF SHYLUK