Tuesday, September 27, 2011

456 - Minus One Million Style Points


A somewhat disturbing, possibly tongue-in-cheek, probably unscientific Internet poll suggests that Vancouver is one of the least well-dressed cities.  Leave aside issues of poverty and that judging people by their clothes is highly superficial; it's true.  Vancouverites don't know how to dress for success.  If I show up at a restaurant wearing a basic sport coat and decent trousers, I get treated like I am a visitor from another planet. 

The soaring popularity of hockey jerseys plus the seductive and available comfort of Lululemon clothing lines leave our citizens at the bottom of the fine fashion barrel.  Tough luck that Milan doesn't have an NHL franchise or a summer that lasts two weeks out of the year, or else they'd be us. 

I am not trying to set myself up as the Omega Man in a world filled with fashion zombies, as I have enough questionable choices on my clothes horse.  But I can wear simple, classic fashion when I feel I have to. 

It could be worse.  We could be like Fashion Cowboy, the only buckaroo in Metro Vancouver who knows what the word "shantung" means (hint: it's a type of rough silk cloth).  To see the Fashion Cowboy, check out JSVB post #120 by clicking here.