Thursday, May 13, 2010

120 - "The Fashion Cowboy"


Yesterday, my brother-in-law surprised me by telling me that he looks forward to "Ungood Art Day" on JSVB.  "Now I know when the 13th of the month is," he says. 

Today's ungood art is The Fashion Cowboy.  Like most things in my sketchbook, this is an unfinished work that could use refinement to get past the draft stage.   Still, anatomy, line, and pose are all not so ungood.  The devil lies in the details, as they say.

What I remember is coming to work one day and having one of the most powerful intuitive bursts I've ever had.  I try to pay attention whenever I get one of those calls from my subconscious, I always feel that's important somehow.  I was compelled to draw a fashion cowboy, something I had never before attempted.  It was like I had no choice.  I hammered this sketch out, and it's lived in my sketchbook ever since.  Beyond that, I am unaware of any further effect, except maybe the vague urge to watch "Zoolander".