Well, here we are. The resumption of icon painting more or less coincides with the restortation of my computer after a Windows 7 meltdown. The date at the top is wrong, since I am over-writing my placeholder post of April 25th. Today is the third of May. More on that in another JSVB entry.
I took Easter off in terms of painting or much other artwork, although that was not my first choice for how to run things. When I got back to business, I worked on Mary's cloak, solidifying colours. There are little bits where the colours don't meet perfectly that I will have to fix. I repainted some of the clothing lines in black ruffs. These will get overpainted when I start to apply the shading next week.
Provincial icons, that is, icons that would have been painted by itinerant artists for rural clients, might leave off right about here in terms of image development. Shading would be kept to a minimum, as it is time consuming work. I used a Russian fake icon as a colour guide for my painting, and its shading was primitive. I hope to achieve more.