Thursday, May 5, 2011

362 - Tronica Resurrection

A few weeks ago, my friend Earl was having problems making his computer run properly.  I decided to draw an illustration of his technical issues, which you can see in JSVB Post #351 by clicking here.  My wife and I even wrote a special tribute to Earl's computer, which we called  "The Story Of Earl, His Computer, Prince Protonius, and The Mayor's Daughter Tronica".  Although the story is on Earl's blog, mention of it and the illustration can be viewed on JSVB Post #349 by please clicking here.


Over Easter, my own computer went awry, which explains why there is such a large gap in time between this post and the previous one.  A routine Windows download did not work properly, and caused an error that made a larger subesquent fix act even worse.  Before I could do anything useful, the Windows registry was corrupted beyond repair, which compelled me to re-install my system.  Fortunately, I did not lose any data, but it did take a long time to restore my applications and files over the holidays.  Worse still, there were many memorable, bloggable moments I missed because I had no easy way of scanning them into cyberspace.  I guess I will post them after the fact.


So here is a return to the story of Prince Protonius and Lady Tronica, the anthropomorphic, electronic way I see how all of the stuff is controlled in my scomputer ystem.  Here, Prince Protonius rushes to the side of Lady Tronica, who's hibernating SLI is in sleep mode.  She waits peacefully, her power-saver configuration resting upon a data pad.  A romantic to his multicore, Prince Protonius reboots Tronica's system with the Spark Of True System Restore:




Saved from fading into a Gaussian blur, the intrepid thermocouple lives happily ever after!


I based this artwork on the famous scene from the Snow White story, where Snow White is rescued with a kiss.  That's a story which never gets old.  Computer repair, on the other hand, gets old quickly.  I decided to make a fun illustration to liven up the chore.  I am still experimenting with the look of the glow and I think the results are improving.  It's still a cluttered design, though.  I really should study how the Disney artists solved their composition issues in "Tron".  All of these bright colours make it difficult for the eye to find a focus, I think.