Wednesday, April 13, 2011

353 - Freudian Femme Fatale

Today is the 13th of the month, traditionally "Ungood Art Day" here on JSVB.  I've been meaning to share this image for a long time, but it took me a while to track down, as it's another older drawing:



Actually, I like this pic, and it's even rendered fairly well.  I drew it to celebrate buying a green and a magenta pencil, I remember that.  It was one of those stream-of-consciousness doodles I sometimes come up with when I am really bored.  What sticks in my mind are all of the psychoanalytical telltales: the jungle, the skimpy outfit, the blade, and of course, the big purple snake.  Although the picture comes together artistically, it's a shambles from the Freudian point of view.  So, a new frontier for me: psychologically-impaired Ungood Art.

I almost never depict women with blades or swords.  Again, I think that's a Freudian mistake for the artist.  That's not to say that there shouldn't be exceptions to the rule.  The most famous may be Ursula Andress in Dr. No (1962).  Maybe that's who I was thinking of when I drew this, but it's hard to draw a sleek woman with a blade and a bikini, and not think of Miss Honey Rider.