Saturday, June 5, 2010

139 - The Dahle 155


Nobody asks me what kind of pencil sharpener I use. 

If they did, I would tell them right off, "Cheap art supplies make cheap art."  Then I would show them the Dahle 155 Professional. 

Made with durable Solingen steel, the 155's conical blades make precise cuts every time, ensuring a perfect symmetrical point on my pencil.  The 155 comes with a self-feeding system that never over-grinds the wood.  On the back is an ajduster dial that lets me specify how sharp or dull I want the point to be, which is highly practical for artistic applications. 

The 155 is easy to take apart and clean.  In every respect, it is a superior sharpener, although it is expensive. 

Some artists complain about the "teeth of death" that can leave marks on the exterior of the pencil.  These hypersensitive maladroits are obviously married to their pencils, they take them out on the town every few nights in their cosy vinyl pocket protectors for drinks and maybe a nice crème brulée afterwards at the local bistro.  They probably get all teary when their HB's finally get short, no doubt from writing fan mail to Sidney Crosby. 

Me, I never keep pencils around long enough to care about their paint job.  They do their duty and then they jump into the grinder.  Repeat until gone, then I buys some more. 

So if nobody asks me about my pencil sharpener, why am I bothering here and now?  Simply put, papa needs a new JSVB entry.