Friday, July 27, 2018

1527 - Jor-El's Final Day On The Job



See, this is funny if you realize that Jor-El, Superman's father, is giving the weather report for the planet Krypton just before it falls into its own sun.  Jor-El would totally do this since he's the head of the Krypton Science Council, the body that governs the entire planet.  He was also the only one to warn against the wobbly orbit of Krypton, at least in some of the comic books anyways.  In desperation, he rebels by sending his son Kal-El on a spaceship to Earth just before Krypton is incinerated, and Kal-El becomes Superman.  

Funny!

When I drew yesterday's illustration of the black side of Krypton being destroyed along with the white, I had intended Samu-El Jack-Zon (name courtesy of my friend Earl who is wise in all things related to The Man Of Steel) to be watching television, and Marlon Brando with his utterly dispassionate performance from the 1979 Superman movie would signal the end of civilization.  I couldn't figure out how to stage that, so I split up the two ideas.  I just worked this one out as a sort of sketch since ironically it's so hot out right now I'm thinking our own planet is falling into the sun.  I am sleeping days and working nights, or trying to.