Monday, June 11, 2018

1514 - Constructing A Superior Woman



The Marla McGivers model I created for my JSVB Birthday Spectacular (9) had me trying out a new workflow.  

I've been studying master illustrator James Gurney by reading his excellent art instruction books.  Among other things, Mr. Gurney advocates using a maquette, which is a small scale model of a three-dimensional subject that art artist can use to aid in visualization. 

Mr. Gurney makes his maquettes out of modelling clay, but there's no reason I can think of not to use a digital source.  After all, I can just paint over the 3D image with rendering applications.  

So I built a model and posed it according to a sexy pose I found on the Internet.  Who know you could find sexy poses online?  At this stage, I painted on her clothes, face, and hair mostly by following pictures of Marla McGivers from Star Trek.  You can see there are rough parts in her skin tone as well the shape of the dress.  I have a bunch of iterative saves that show my progress in fixing these elements, but they're pretty boring so I feel I only need one of these to pad out my JSVB posts.