Friday, March 13, 2015

1078 - "Squirrel, Interrupted"

NO SQUIRRELS WERE HARMED IN THE MAKING OF THIS VIDEO.
NOR WERE ANY EATEN. (TOO MUCH CHOLESTEROL! SERIOUS!)

 


Wow, another Friday The Thirteenth!  The thirteenth of every month is Ungood Art Day on JSVB.  I try hard to create good art, but since I normally work alone sometimes my internal compass gets confused and good art ends up ungood, somehow.  Every artist makes ungood art, but few celebrate the fact. 

As a child, I had an irrational persistent daydream of owning a working phaser pistol from Star Trek.  If I did have one, there would likely be a crater the size of Saskatchewan in the Earth somewhere (probably Saskatchewan itself), and I would be ruling you as your undisputed Beloved Lifetime Emperor instead of posting to a blog.  

So now I have a toy phaser, yay!  Unfortunately, the death ray setting has been disabled, but I can use Photoshop special effects to simulate it.

One fine day, there was a fat squirrel cavorting on the lawn outside.  I pulled open the patio door and told my wife to fire the phaser at the squirrel.  Obedient, she did, and I quickly snapped the picture.  Funny thing was that the creature seemed to groove on the phaser sound the toy gun makes.  It sat in rapt attention while my wife unloaded the full charge on it.  We think it was a half-tame squirrel that neighbours may have been feeding, and so was expecting food from us.  It got a snootful of phaser instead, and fifteen seconds of fame on the Internet. 

This animation is a fantasy only, since we here at JSVB don't shoot at animals with guns.