Tuesday, March 26, 2013

758 - Salmon Creek Panorama


Today, I managed to take a nice picture from the bed of a protected salmon creek.  Since this is a place where salmon come to spawn, it's a bad idea to go sloshing through their nursery wearing gumboots just for the sake of a photograph. 
 
Fortunately for me, but not the water level, it's been dry the past few days and the creek volume has reduced drastically.  Last summer, it was so dry that most of the water had completely disappeared.  For this picture, I am standing on a sandbar that forms a piece of land that juts almost into the center of the creek.  When the weather warms a little and the snow melts from the nearby mountains, this creek will swell in size and easily rise above the level of the rocks on the right hand side of the composition.  There, the salmon babies will find shelter from predators.  I did see a half dozen hatchlings in the water: they were the size of the words "baby salmon" on this page, and therefore too small for me to capture with my camera.