Friday, March 1, 2013

745 - That Darned Cat

 
Just like anybody else in tune with their profession, a good artist will rely on intuition.  I ignored mine while I was working on this cat illustration, intended to be a unique product.  I think this is a pretty good effort.  It's not complete, but it does not need much more to make it a finished piece. 
 
Only it's all wrong.  After two days of massaging pencil tests to get the pose just right (please click here to see JSVB Post #740, which is one ruff draft), I inked out the cat while ignoring a little voice in my head that kept insisting that something was wrong.
 
Later that night as I was sleeping, I had a dream that made sense of my intuition.  Like an actor in a theatre farce, I bolted awake in bed at three o'clock in the morning and swore like a sailor.  I realised that I have very nearly managed to draw the mascot for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats football team.  I knew I had seen this cat somewhere before.  I was chagrined to realize that without actually copying the Hamilton design, that I had almost replicated it.  Two days of work down the drain.  At least I caught my mistake.