Tuesday, January 15, 2013

717 - Family Portrait Touch-Up



As a favour, I retouched a family photo.  It came out a bit dark as I was working with a source that had a few extra elements that needed to be cropped, and I just blotted them out with a dark airbrush. 
 
My original scan was extremely dirty.  I could have saved a lot of time if I had made the effort to make a cleaner scan.  Instead, I relied on Photoshop's clean-up suite. 
 
The "Dust & Scratches" filter worked okay, but it came out looking like I'd run the picture through a high-pass filter.  I bet the dust & scratches is much the same as high-pass.   
 
The Healing brush, on the other hand, is nothing short of miraculous.  Healing uses complex algorythms to analyze the pixels surrounding the blemish.  It then applies the result to the area, convincing the out-of-place pixels to more closely resemble their neighbours.  The Healing brush works magnificently on organic areas like hair, skin and cloth.  The only downside is that it's best for spot healing only.