Thursday, July 26, 2012

626 - Mama & Baby Bear


On a bicycle ride through nearby Minnekhada Park, we spied three black bears along our path.  One was likely a juvenile male, maybe two years old.  The others looked like a three year old female and her junior cub.  The ride was planned to be just a short trip to feel the warm sun on our backs for a little while.  I neglected to bring my camera, so when we faced the bears all I could do was to promise myself to make a sketch when I returned home. 

While cycling, we heard a distinct crashing snap in the bushes next to the gravel road.  When we stopped to investigate, momma and her cub ambled onto the path from the leafy underbrush twenty feet behind our bikes.  I think this is the first time I've seen a cub this close and not in a zoo.   Momma shied her youngster away from us and down the path.  She kept peering over her bristled shoulder at us to see what we would do, but the cub was concerned only with finding something new for a play toy.