Sunday, December 18, 2011

512 - Doll Kicker Motion Study


I have to admit to being fascinated by the antics of this little boy I saw the other day at the shopping centre, who in boredom and frustration was kicking at his toy Sheriff Woody doll.  As a child, I had a great deal of respect for my toys, but I did know other kids who busted theirs up just to watch them break.  Were they little psychotics in waiting or just boys acting up? 

Trying to avoid making a moral judgement, I applied what I saw of the little urchin in the mall towards a motion study in my sketchbook.  I wrote a couple of notes as well.  Ten years from now if I look back at this, I will wonder what the blue blazes I was thinking.  It's a cruel-looking page in my book, and rather un-Christmaslike, at least in the sense of a happy holiday. 

To see another rendering of the Christmas Doll Kicker, please click here.