Monday, December 12, 2011

507 - Mother Of Tenderness, Part IX


I like to think of this episode as "Christ Gets A Bathrobe".  I've spent today putting paint to Jesus' garment.  The upper tunic can be white, but pure white is too lifeless.  I've gone with ecru, an off-white, with white highlights and warm salmon shadows.  So help me, the robe looks comfortable, which is more than can be said for many Byzantine clothes. 

I also darkened Mary's clothing, which caused my original guidelines to get painted over.  Tonight I was hot with the rigger, so I re-painted all of the folds, fiddly work.

  
This happy little fellow is a "rigger" brush.  It's very useful for painting long thin lines, such as an illustration of a ship's rigging, hence the name.  Some painters also call these brushes "liners".  The long bristles hold a large amount of paint, meaning that the artist can draw a long, smooth line without having to reload.  The downside to a rigger is that the tip can be hard to handle.  I've been practising and like anything else, the more I've worked with it the more comfortable I am with the brush.
Riggers can be expensive.  A quality rigger can cost up to a hundred dollars, but then its line quality is unequalled.  That's something to consider the next time you look at the price tag on a piece of art and think its creator is asking for too much money.