Monday, October 3, 2011

461 - Mother Of Tenderness, Part I


Today, I've started to write another Byzantine style icon.  Again, this one will be of Mary, but this time I also get to have her holding Jesus.  This will add considerable complexity to the piece.  I will have a larger colour palette to work with, and I will have to learn to deal with hands and feet. 

Of course, there will also be more gold, much more than before.  Today, I started the gilding process, which is the first step in any icon.  While being  a far from proficient gilder, I found the effort easier this time around, despite the astronomical price of the gold (although there's maybe five dollars worth of gold in the image so far). 

Steve, our highly experienced instructor took this picture of me getting started in class.

To see a finished icon I have written, please click here.