Tuesday, August 30, 2011

439 - Background Check


I've been working at throwing my futuristic city background into a new animation, my plan all along.  All I've got to show for it so far is the inclusion of a tower in the forground and a camera move.

It took me all day just to do that!  Flipbook is awesome software, but the documentation and interface seems to be turned just thirteen degrees towards the obtuse for me.  Once I figure out the trick, it's easy, but figuring out the trick in the first place is very heavy going. 

If I was doing the camera move by hand, it would have taken about the same amount of time, using one of the old-style multi-plane cameras.  Two minutes to set up and take down each exposure times three hundred frames equals six hundred minutes, or ten hours.  That's what this little film cost me today.  The next one I set up will take ten minutes, or less.

There's more to do: add flying cars, animated lights, effects, and an audio track.  I am checking each step as I go to make sure I understand the production flow.  Then I have to figure out how to upload a higher resolution version of the final product.