Thursday, July 14, 2011

407 - Naan Tucker



Friends, this is a naan-wich, which I consider my signature sandwich for the next few months.  Naan is a delicious, easy-to-make Indian flatbread that tastes best if you bake the raw dough on the hot clay sides of a roti, a type of earthenware oven.  If you are like me and don't have a roti, you can place the dough on a barbecue grill.  Yum!

There is what I would consider a somewhat racist folk saying that tells us "Only Punjabi hands can shape naan." True naan often has a distinctive and decorative shape that my white-bred hands do not cope with. I am happy if the little loaves come out of the grill looking like tiny blobby buns; it all tastes good regardless.

I've stuffed the sandwich with deli chicken and Italian prosciutto which pair together well.  Salad greens come directly from our garden, which completes the outdoorsy summer flavour of this sandwich.  A small sprig of arugula adds a tone of pepper that jazzes up the filling.