Friday, December 10, 2010

268 - Night Of The Teddy Bears


Tonight was "Teddy Bear Toss Night" for the WHL (Western Hockey League) Vancouver Giants, a local junior hockey team.  The WHL is one of the Canadian junior hockey leagues that feeds players directly into the NHL (National Hockey League), the world's premier professional hockey league. 

Teddy Bear Toss is a charity event that happens once a year near Christmas.  Fans bring stuffed animals to the game, which are thrown onto the ice surface when the home team scores their first goal.  The animals are then donated to a worthy childrens' charity, often with money from sponsors to match the donations. 

I didn't take pictures of the game this year, but I did find an old entry in one of my sketchbooks relating to teddy bears.  I don't recall why I did these, and nothing came of them, except to prove that I now have the same soft spot in my heart for teddy bears as I did when I was a little boy.