Monday, March 22, 2010

76 - Jeff Takes Care Of Some Mail

Mail for JSVB is piling up, and I'm not the world's most ardent correspondent.  Today, I plan to tackle some miscellaneous entries.

One item I've had the most response to was the picture I took in "Profound Signage" (click here to see the photo). 

The story is that I saw the sign while crossing the newly opened Coast Meridian Bridge.  I held the camera up and quickly snapped the picture without losing a step.  Then, I said, "Ladies, stand by your man!", which earned me this funny  evil-eye look from a woman who was walking next to me. 
The strange thing about the picture is that I was walking in a crowd of a couple of hundred people when I snapped the shutter, yet none of them appear in the photo. 

My brother-in-law showed "Stand By Your Man" to his friends in the signage operations of VANOC (the Vancouver Organizing Committee for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games).  Apparently, they spent some time discussing ways to make the sign easier for folks to understand.

Pish-tosh, I say (and I never say that).  This sign is perfect the way it is, any effort to improve it would just make it worse.  I love things that end up like that. 

-----

A big hello to "TripodGirl", who says, "I like your website!".  Well shucks now, I'm blushing!

-----

Also props to Earl, who is so far the most loyal correspondent to JSVB.  He makes the comment regarding the coverage of the Paralympics (click here to see more): "It's interesting how the media coverage has dropped off so precipitously..." I have to admit that at first I did not agree with Earl, but time and experience has proved him right.  If I can, I will come up with a feature entry to address this topic in the future. 

Lastly, Earl has plugged JSVB on Facebook!  Now that I've been featured in legitimate social media, I'll try to remember him and all the rest of you once I get more famous than The Beatles.