Thursday, November 15, 2018

1565 - Three Studies On Jor-El



I've been making studies of Jor-El, Superman's father.  I need to gear up for a big science-fiction project I am wanting to attempt.  I am way out of practice for this kind of drawing, so the only way to get any better is to draw more and more.  

These studies aren't all that bad, though.  I've been using Marlon Brando as an inspiration.  I find Mr. Brando to be one of the most fascinating actors the Hollywood studios have ever produced.  He had a tough life, but a very rich one, and was full of insight.  He also was compulsive about recording himself, so there exist hundreds of hours of tapes that form his autobiography.  Apart from his films, Mr. Brando also had life-casts made of his face and he allowed himself to be laser-scanned by Electronic Arts.  There are quite a number of easy visual references to the man.

Of course I'm not trying to copy them, but Marlon Brando did make a terrific Jor-El and I would like to capture some of that essence for my own project. 

The character of Jor-El is the intellectual property of DC Comics Inc., a subsidiary of Warner Bros. Entertainment.