Wednesday, September 26, 2018

1555 - Hockey Puck Project I

On the hottest day of summer, the most Canadian thing I have even encountered happened to me.  The neighbour's kid was going door-to-door selling used hockey pucks.  

It was above 40° outside, so the boy was roasting.  I don't know where he managed to get them, but he had his little red wagon filled with hockey pucks, maybe a couple hundred or so.  Quite a few of them looked like game pucks or souvenirs, and some I believe were tournament pucks.  He was selling them on the street to make money to buy ice cream.  I bought a couple of pucks that I thought were nifty. 

Then I saw he had two or three dozen blank pucks.  I doubted anyone would buy those.  A flash of insight led me to purchase all of the blanks: what if I painted artwork on them?  The value added should no doubt fetch a high price.  So, I'm going to paint hockey pucks, and the boy and I can sell them and we will split the profits.  I figure custom-painted hockey pucks will be popular at Christmas!  


Intuition assured me that a regulation hockey puck would fit precisely within a Mason jar lid.  I think I may have even saw this in a dream.  I tested out my theory, and the fit is exact.  I am using the inside rim of the lid to draw the outer edge of the paintable area of each puck.  It's easier than using a compass.


I'm painting the pucks with gesso, since gesso sticks to most surfaces and itself provides primer for acrylic paint.  I'll fill in the circles with white gesso and sand them smooth.