Monday, April 23, 2018

1501 - "Movin' To Alberta"


I hear the pipeline comin'
It's rollin' 'round the bend
And I ain't seen the sunshine
Since, I don't know when
I'm stuck in the Lower Mainland
And news keeps draggin' on
But that pipeline keeps a-rollin' 
Down to Burnaby Mountain

When I was just a young man
My Mama told me, son 
You always vote for Trudeau
He'll always get it done
But Trudy sold the pipeline
Now he's a real sly guy
When I know black bitumen's comin'
I hang my head and cry


But then I thought of somethin'
I ain't got no kids so far
Don't know what I'm savin' 
This gol-danged planet fer 
Now I'm Kinder-Morgan truckin'
I sold my compact car
I'll keep this V-8 revvin'
And let my wheels take me far

I'm movin' to Alberta
To be among my kind
Gonna buy me some truck-nuts
And guns for my duck blind
Far from Granola City
That's where I want to stay
And I'll let that big ol' pipeline
Flow my blues away



----


Apologies to Johnny Cash and The Folsom Prison Blues.  Honestly, I'm not against the pipeline as such.  I just don't like Kinder-Morgan's track record in Burnaby, I live near where the new pipeline will terminate, and I know that a bitumen oil spill is nearly impossible to mitigate.  Instead of political bluster, it would have been better to have some rational problem-solving.