Friday, February 13, 2015

1075 - Don't Starve In NY

Today is Ungood Art Day on JSVB.  This entry is truly ungood, not politically correct, or nice.  A New York citizen is deluded into thinking he is Hobbes The Tiger while beating a little old lady.  And a turkey-like creature gets clobbered in the process.  If  you don't want to see any of that, and you know I won't blame you if you don't, then please don't scroll this page down.



































Oh, boy, I have to explain, don't I?

First, this is for my friend Rob, who lives and works in New York.  This is supposed to cheer him up!  Winter has been rough over there. 

So Rob is a big Calvin and Hobbes fan, like anybody with good taste.  He's also a big fan of the videogame "Don't Starve".  See, that's why Hobbes is bashing the  turkey-like thing, known in the game as a "Gobbler".  In the game, your character races against starvation and insanity to try to survive a hostile wilderness environment.  Trust me, when you're starving and nearly insane (in the game! In the game!!) you'd club a virtual grandmother to get her drumsticks.  For whatever reason, though, I went against including actual game characters, interchanging them with the iconic comic strip personalities.  So, I think there's humour there, although it's very dark and microscopic.  The thumbnail sketch I drew to plan this looked funnier somehow.   

It's maybe also fair to compare Central Park at night with the violent, chaotic world of Don't Starve.  "Of course you’ll have a bad impression of New York if you only focus on the pimps and the C.H.U.D.s.", so says Marge Simpson.

Still, I am thinking of colouring it in.  Rob should see it first.  If he hates it, then forget the colouring.  Also, I am thinking of substituting the little old lady with Woody Allen, maybe that would be funnier.  It's been a long time since Woody Allen has done anything funny.   Me too, apparently.

Ungood Art Day is traditionally the 13th of every month.  I try to show a piece of artwork I have made where often despite good intentions, the thing ends up being... ungood.  Today is a Friday the 13th.   So far, it's more than lived up to the hype.