Monday, June 10, 2013

796 - Happy Birthday To Me (4)


What, another birthday already?  It seems like only 198 posts ago I celebrated one of those. 
 
Each birthday, I treat myself to some kind of pin-up. This one is "Leilani", and she has special significance.  At least her ukulele does, since the instrument and the girl share the same name. 
 
Recently, the indomitable little ukulele has been making a comeback in the music world.  You hear it all the time in advertising and in popular music.  There are three things I've discovered about ukuleles:  one is that they are easy to lug around, two is that they are relatively simple to learn to play, and three is that after you've mastered a couple of  easy picks and simple chords, strumming a uke sounds like music even if you are just fooling around. 
 
A few weeks ago, I purchased as a present for my wife the same green ukulele that Leilani is holding in the pose above.  My wife and I have been learning to play.   Who knew ukuleles were so much fun?  Our house is starting to sound like a luau.  I've taken to listening to Hawai'ian music on Internet radio (KPOA).  And I've for surely been fantasizing about a getaway to Honolulu!