Monday, August 13, 2012

638 - Savid Cram


Welcome to Ungood Art Day, traditionally the 13th of every month. 

Here is a draft of JSVB Post  #636, "Coyote Queen" (please click here to see that).  This was supposed to be my wife in pre-sneeze pose, but it got away from me. 

A lot of artists will lay out a very lean rough to get the basic head pose.  Then, knowing where the eyes and nose go, they start with those features and work outwards.  This technique allows the artist to avoid "filling" the facial area.  A good example of "filling" is drawing the outer boundaries of the face and working inward.  When this happens, the artist will tend to fill in parts of the face with the features, distorting them to make them fit.

Working from inside out works very well as long as you keep your measurements consistent.  I did not do that with this draft, and the results horrify.  Instead, I recall thinking, "I'm drawing like Marc Davis (Disney animation hero) today!"  I just kept drawing until I thought I had it, then pulled back to see what I had achieved.  Not Marc Davis at all.  More like the opposite of Marc Davis.  "Savid Cram" equals "Marc Davis" spelled backwards. 

Oh well, that's why drafts are drafts.