Saturday, January 14, 2012

527 - Baby B&A



After
Before



I enjoy restoring old photos using PhotoShop.  It's a nice combination of detective work, puzzle-solving, and art skill.  Admittedly, the "after" picture looks airbrushed; I was working fast. 

The big problem was that the picture has been sitting for a very long time in a frame with an oval window in view of the sun.  The colour was bleached away over the years into this weird pink egg.  I made a custom mask to select out the shape and used that to restore as much colour as I could.  However, there's not much colour information remaining in that egg zone.  Fortunately, the colours just outside of the egg, the skin tone, the hair colour, the stocking colour, and the dress, were all available for sampling. 

After I got the colour back, I erased some folds and stains, and also blotted out some debris on the image.  I think it's an improvement!