Tuesday, August 31, 2010

195 - Kirlian Girl


Back to "this pose" again.  I am working my way up to my Two Hundredth Post JSVB Spectacular, which should be ready in a few days.   It sure isn't now, though.

I worked over the pose using pure stylus power.  The only ink in this drawing is digital.  This turned out to be a lot harder to accomplish than I first thought.  Many thanks to John "pixlart" Derry who provided a tutorial I needed on how to optimize brushes in Corel Painter. 

The coloured effects come directly from using Photoshop layer blending options and curves.  I always like to experiment with these settings to see what effects come out.  Most Photoshop filters are just automated sets of blending instructions, as blends can be highly interactive.  If you undertsand the math behind blends, you can program your own.  I just go visually and create "recipes" of blends that I think work. 

This one looks to me a lot like Kirlian aura photography.  It shouldn't be difficult to fake a Kirlian photograph in Photoshop, especially using smart layer blends.  I do like the aesthetic of it. 

Yes, it looks like the girl's hand has been blown off.  This is still a work in progress, and I simply have not drawn it yet.   Her hand pose will be a crucial part of the final composition.