Thursday, May 6, 2010

114 - Uni Sushi

The other day for the first time, I tried uni sushi, which is made from sea urchin:



Uni is made from the roe or "coral" of the urchin, and is considered a delicacy.  Some people compare it to truffle or foie gras, others think it tastes truly awful.  From what I have learned, uni has a very short shelf life.  Even the time that uni sits on the table in a good Japanese restaurant might be enough to tip it from elixir to execrable.

My uni was... unique.  The coral arrives looking a lot like diarrhea on rice.  I am told one of the many types of uni translates from Japanese to something that comes out of the rear end of a horse. 

The taste was exotic.  I guess it compares to oysters, a little.   Definitely the taste of the ocean, with the texture of a raw egg yolk.  My uni flavour was fairly strong, but with some complexity.  I don't think all uni should be quite that powerful.

I can't imagine eating a whole plate of the stuff.  One at a time is enough.  It's kind of a wierd, far-out taste that makes the rest of the meal taste sweeter and better.  Uni is not bad, just different. 

These days seem like uni days.  Interesting, but with a taste of iodine.  Hopefully, next week will be sweeter and better.