Monday, August 1, 2011

419 - No, No They Don't...

Today's JSVB post concerns feces, and contains some mature language.  Please do not scroll down if you are easily offended.


























Someone asks you something where the both of you know the answer is "yes".  So to change things up, you answer the question with another question:


DO BEARS SHIT IN THE WOODS?


Loyal JSVB Cultural Elite know the true answer.  No.  No they do not. 


THEY PREFER TO SHIT ON MY LAWN.



Observe this scatological specimen, most probably that of a juvenile black bear.  It's roughly the size of half a loaf of bread, quite fresh, and three feet from my front window.  The scavenger flies shooed off when I got close with the camera.  You can see evidence of salmon berry consumption, but I feel there should be more berry debris and less filler.  This animal is probably into eating garbage, which is going to be very bad for the bear. 

EDIT: I found out several days after the fact that the phantom shitter was a full-grown female bear with two cubs.  A neighbour watched as she crapped on our lawn and then ate all of the berries off of the small decorative bush in our front yard.  I had no idea the berries were desirable or even edible.  I've seen mother bears teach their cubs how to find good food and avoid garbage by making little eating demonstrations.  I've also seen that the cubs don't always pay attention or learn the lesson, which can be tragic. 




This helpful sign is a few meters away from my house.

For another post on bears in the neighbourhood, please click here.