Friday, August 26, 2011

437 - "That'll Do, Pig."

A rim-lit moment that evokes the sensibilities of Hollywood movies about pigs who can talk:


The trainer is interacting with a pet pig during the "Richard's Racers" pig show.  It's a popular attraction for the Pacific National Exhibition (PNE), which means that if I am taking this picture, I am not at home drawing stuff.  It was very good to get out, though. 

Animal rights activists think very little of Richard's Racers, and the more vocal ones seem unhappy with the agri-business in general.  I point this out to try to be fair in my commentary.  I will simply suggest that while the pigs never seem to get older from year to year, the trainer's waistline never gets trimmer (and niether does mine).

Amazing special effects photography brings us this fast-moving bonus photograph, as I capture the thunderous speed of a duck race.

Judging by how fast these ladies waddle, they are probably hitting their top speed at around 5 to 8 km/h (5 m.p.h. tops).  By comparsion, a typical barnyard chicken can run about 15 km/h, roughly twice the speed of a duck. 

And now you know.