Saturday, July 30, 2011

418 - "Bali, Hi!"

Untuk teman-teman Indonesia saya, halo! Saya harap Anda menikmati mengunjungi JSVB.

When it works, if it works, the Google™ Followers tool on the right hand side of the JSVB page shows all of my current "followers": people who are signed on to get automatic updates of my blog.  I like to call them my Cultural Elite.  The other day, I noticed my first addition to my Cultural Elite from overseas.  Welcome Anak Muda 3007! 


From what I can tell, Anak Muda 3007 doesn't speak English, and has a link to an Indonesian news website.  I guess Anak Muda 3007 visits for the pictures, which is cool.

Well, I don't know any Indonesian, and I am very ignorant about Indonesia in general.  I do have a copy of Rogers and Hammerstien's "South Pacific" (1958), which explains the garish colour scheme for today's illustration. 


This is my version of a lagong dancer.  Lagong is a traditional girls' dance that tells the story of a young princess held captive long ago by a warlike king.  The costumes are opulent and the dance moves are convoluted and precise. 

Lagong dancers are seldom tall, but to spruce up the composition I threw in elements of the Balinese Borobodur Temple that I picked up from copyright-free U.S. Government photographs.