Wednesday, July 13, 2011

406 - Sandworms of Cataan


The thirteenth of the month brings us to yet another Ungood Art Day on JSVB.  That I haven't created any truly bad art these past four weeks speaks to the fact that I have not been trying very hard.  I do have a very crappy jump animation of a hamster to my credit, but it's bad mostly on technical merit and not aesthetic bungling as is the norm. 


So today I am relying on old bad art.  Years ago, when we first bought our "Settlers Of Cataan" board game, my wife and I decided we needed to spruce up the game pieces.  There is a section of the board that is trackless desert, so we made for it a scale model of a Shai-Hulud, the iconic "sandworm" from the "Dune" science fiction novels by Frank Herbert. 


Our worm deviates in some respects from the canon.  For one thing, a true sandworm is not bright blue, nor does it smile or have cute buggy white eyes.  Our worm, one of a kind, was fashioned out of some leftover Blu-Tack, which is a form of putty for temporarily putting up posters onto a wall without marking the paint.  The eyes are the tops of a couple of stickpins that came out of a nice dress shirt I had purchased for myself.  The ear-to-ear grin, as if to say, isn't it just a wonderful day! was my wife's idea.   The entire model is roughly an inch long, or 109,370 times shorter than full scale.  This makes the sandworm my smallest piece of Ungood Art.