Friday, September 21, 2018

1551 - "Muni Tunes"


Earlier this year my friend Greg Moore, Mayor of Port Coquitlam, announced that he was retiring from politics.  Well, there goes one of my best clients.  For the past ten years or so, I produced Mayor Moore's political literature.  In that time, I also developed a cartoon version of Mayor Moore that we used in several social media campaigns.  

A couple of days ago, I presented my final Mayor Moore cartoon artwork.  Back in Spring of this year, I had been approached by Polly Krier, who runs a successful marketing company specializing in corporate events.  Polly suggested that I could come up with some artwork for a  roast for Mayor Moore, and Greg gave Polly his blessing.  

The concept for the artwork came to me in a momentous flash: I'd adapt the famous exit line from Porky Pig to my cartoon Mayor Moore.  I had to double-check that fair use would apply to this work, and made certain that my version had enough changes so that it resembled the Warner Brothers studio work without copying it.  That, and since my project is definitely satirical, "Muni Tunes" satisfies fair use copyright law.  

The roast was phenomenal!  For better than two hours, Mayor Moore endured playful barbs from his friends, family, and co-workers in a gala theatrical celebration of his civic career.  Many of the jests spoke genuinely to our hearts as Mayor Moore has contributed so much to the city of Port Coquitlam both as a municipal leader but also as a profound and generous benefactor to our community.  Even as he leaves us as Mayor, his legacy Greg Moore Family Community Fund will continue to provide money for campaigns to assist the underprivileged in our city: the roast alone raised over $130,000.   My own contribution of artwork is hardly significant compared to what Polly, Greg, his wife Erin, and Foundation Chairman John Diack have achieved.  Yet Greg took to time to make sure that I was recognized and made a part of the event, something which honours me more than I can say.  

The last ride of the Four Horsemen: the Mayors of Port Coquitlam, Coquitlam, Port Moody and Anmore.  Also: hey, look!  My artwork!