Wednesday, May 29, 2013

789 - The Vodka Candy Experiment


Hypothesis: That candy jujubes, when soaked in vodka, would swell to twice their size and become edible vodka shooters.
 
History:  Most artists I know are addicts to caffeine, alcohol, smokes (or worse), or some combination of those.  An animator friend who is a tremendous artist suggested making jujube vodka shooters by soaking the candy in vodka.  Accepting that she would know as much about adult candy as she would about drawing pictures, I decided to try making vodka treats for myself.
 
Method: In a sealed jar, I poured equal amounts of high-quality vodka and high-quality jujubes.  After tightening the lid, I left the jar untouched for 48 hours.
 
Outcome:  The jujubes barely increased in size.  I was hoping they would be as big as welcome mats.  All of the colours of the candy were leached into the vodka, which took on a dark, opaque aspect.  I opened the jar.
 
   1) The liquid, although looking foul, smelled sweet and tasted sweeter.   I have a robust candy-flavoured vodka.  It's pretty nice!
 
   2) The jujubes were all pale and sickly-looking.  They were no longer chewy, but instead tended to crumble.  They weren't horrible to eat, but niether were they enjoyable.  Very bland. 
 
Result: The hypothesis was disproven.  The candy was unappetizing.  The vodka, on the other hand, was great!  Future note: when attempting this experiment again, use only the same flavour of jujube, or use flavours that would pair well.  Otherwise you end up with vodka that tastes like the entire bag of jujubes all at once.