Friday, May 10, 2013

778 - The Best Ribs


It's difficult to talk about great food.  Clichés are just as much of a crutch to the food writer as are stock phrases and epicurean jargon.  To my mind, the best way to describe food is to show others how to find it for themselves, either through a reccomendation or even better, a comprehensive recipe. 
 
I've come across such a dish in these Chinese-style ribs.  These were the best ribs I've ever made.  They were so good, my wife and I grew angry with our stomachs for getting full.  Such distractingly good ribs, it was hard to do anything after the meal but marvel at them.  For days. 
 
The secret to the ribs is the sauce, which requires a fair amount of work.  In its first phase, the sauce is a marinade.  Then it becomes a baste, and finally under the broiler, it works as a glaze.   The base is a hoisin combined with soy, garlic, ginger, sugar, onion, and cayenne.  If you can imagine those flavours paired with slow-roasted ribs, you'll understand this mouth-watering dish. 
 
I will provide a recipe for these ribs, dear JSVB readers, but not today.  I've only tried the sauce once, and I do need to make some changes before I can publish the full recipe.