Thursday, May 2, 2013

776 - Fun With Robots IV


Well, this project has spiralled out of control.  As the military dudes say, I've exceeded the parameters of my mission.  This was just supposed to be a quick project, a proof of technology.  Now it's turning into a real monster, although it's still fun to keep adding to it.
 
Paris burns!  I'm very pleased at how I got the hue of the smoke clouds to match the special atmospheric lighting that the French capitol enjoys.  There's a sort of golden joie de vivre amid the explosions, fires, and destruction. 
 
I also finished one of the robot's rocket pods and made it operational.  I was concerned that the launch blast would wreck the painstaking work on the Eiffel Tower disaster, but the smoky clouds and the tiny, faraway elements of the desperate ground battle seem to pull it all back together.  I'm also happy with the formation of stealth bombers laying waste to Parisian landmarks.  I feel that if there's a giant robot tearing apart the Eiffel Tower, there should also be a stealth bomber squadron dropping their payload onto a pitched land battle.  Does anybody else have this much fun with art?
 
The big question remains: who is going to sit in the command chair of the giant rampaging robot?  You will see, soon enough.