Monday, October 1, 2012

665 - Archangel Michael Part II


Today, I applied the sanquir, the base coat colour for the skin tone, which comes to an earthy olive green.  This isn't a big icon, so that did not take much time.  I spent much of the day re-organizing the linear black lines.  It seems the armor and tunic were all goofed.  It's better to catch big mistakes now rather than at the end.  If you look closely, you can see where I blipped out the faulty lines. 
 
Unfortunately, the process was time consuming.  I could not just "liquid paper" out the mistakes like I would for any other piece, since that would leave visible bumps and wreck the smoothness of the finish.  I had to lay down a dozen layers of thin white paint to erase lines, waiting for each layer to dry out before I could attempt the next.  I spent much of the evening watching paint dry.