Monday, October 29, 2012

678 - Archangel Michael, Part IV


Here's what I know about angels: not much.  I think by choosing Michael as the focus of this icon, I was hoping to gain some insight into the mystery of angels. 
 
Today I painted in the armour, making it appear metallic if not golden.  I made a push to get it all done at once because the four colours I mixed, earth green, golden orange and yellow, and a warm white, are close enough to the four colours needed to render gold.  Once mixed, these colours are not so easy to match the next day. 
 
Angels, in particular the main named angels, equally work towards the glory of God as much as they also form a military unit of supernatural warriors.  They bear armor, swords, and shields against the minions of Hell.  This makes their iconic form much more martial than most other saintly biblical characters.